'ANIMALS SHARE WITH US THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SOUL' ~ Pythagoras

'THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED' ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I left the UK and came to live in this beautiful part of Greece with two cats in 2005. Never did I think that animal welfare/rescuing would take over all other planned activities. The plight of these helpless innocent souls is heartbreaking.

30 September 2014

The strays at the taverna . . .

Mid August, as I was going into the local bakery, I came face to face with a local taverna owner:  "You have to take them, you have to take them, they are causing me problems with tourists at my taverna".  My reply was "NO".  I continued to say that if the old lady allowed me to continue to neuter the pussy cats within this area, instead of me being stoned and verbally abused, I will help. "That doesn't happen" was his reply and off he went smiling happily.

I was made aware of many kittens in this area at some point in July, by a waiter.  He asked whether I knew anyone who wanted 10/12 kittens.  Sadly no-one will help, but I did say I would feed, neuter them, get them human friendly and then try and find homes for them, but all of this will take time.  I kept my word in terms of feeding them every morning.  Sadly they weren't human friendly at all. Food had to be left and then it was a case of walking away.   It was going to be a long process, but everything was possible.

I did manage to neuter some of the older cats in this area too, but the mentality of the local people is hard to understand.   Their view is that once a cat has been neutered, then it cannot serve its purpose anymore of catching cockroaches, snakes, mice and rats.  How sad that this mentality STILL exists.  

Never mind, though, I had to continue and try and catch them in secret.  However after having the confrontation with the taverna owner mid August, shortly after, most of these kittens and older cats vanished!!!!! Only a couple remained.  They were not human friendly in terms of being able to handle, which meant that their extinction was probably by feeding them FOLAS, which is poisoned food.  

I cannot prove anything, but sadly this is my only explanation because this colony would never just vanish, unless a human or humans took action. It hurts that I wasn't able to give them a chance, or help them.  They were a lovely group of kittens, but sadly, no-more.  

What makes me even more angrier is that where tourists are concerned, an image of caring is portrayed, yet behind closed doors it is a totally different situation.  

Living in a Mediterranean country, animal welfare is totally horrendous.  Pain faces you daily.  You so much want to do your best to alleviate any form of suffering for the animals, to stop the unwanted pregnancies, but each time you face hostility, cruelty and continuous verbal abuse.  It will never stop.

https://www.facebook.com/Greekstrays?ref=hl
https://www.facebook.com/Greekstrays/app_362564237108797
http://www.ermioni.info/content/animal-welfare
http://www.ermioni.info/things-to-know/greekstrays-donations

No comments:

Post a Comment