'ANIMALS SHARE WITH US THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SOUL' ~ Pythagoras

'THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED' ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I left the UK and came to live in this beautiful part of Greece with two cats in 2005. Never did I think that animal welfare/rescuing would take over all other planned activities. The plight of these helpless innocent souls is heartbreaking.

15 January 2012

Pampoushka ..... her story

Very sick
One white whisker only
This is my story............  They called me Whisker, because they didn't  know what sex I was and I only had one white whisker.  I am about 4 years old with long black hair. Nobody loved me, because I looked so bad. But a friendly couple used to come daily to feed the colony, which was nice.  My dad was black and he was in a bad state too.  When people saw him, they harmed him, but it wasn't his fault he looked the way he did. Being a feral, stray, we are prone to all sort of diseases and die very quickly.  We don't have the luxuries of calling any place home!  One day I was snatched together with some of my friends. I fought and scratched and really didn't know why I was being put into cage.  But it was my turn to be neutered.  Oh no more babies..............how nice.  Our babies don't survive either, because there is no food for them, and we are too weak to nurse them.  The vet took one look at me and decided she wasn't going to neuter me. Why?  Because I had a very runny nose and had cat flu. My chances of survival were pretty slim.  A few months passed and I was finally neutered by a different vet, who really felt sorry for me and didn't want me to have any more babies.  As time went by, I continued my life of poverty.  One day, I disappeared.  When I came back, I was in a terrible state. My jaw was dislocated as I had been kicked, I had a massive wound at the back of my head and cat flu.  I was pretty awful. This is what bad Greeks do to us.  We will never know why we are always harmed.  I needed help, but had never allowed anyone to touch me before.  One day, I took my chances and followed the couple home who fed us daily.  I didn't fight when they picked me up and put me in a cage.  It felt like sheer luxury.  I was taken inside a big home, which was warm and they tried to clean me, but it was so painful.  Sadly I endured a few weeks of pain, vet visits and living inside a big cage.  I was fed by syringe and my chances were pretty slim.  No-one thought I would make it.  After a few months, I made a full recovery and am now an indoor house cat with them.  You cannot believe what a difference the love of people can do to us Greek feral strays. With food, water and shelter, it transforms our lives forever.  I am so lucky and thankful that I took my chances to their home.  They have been so caring and loving, including my 3 adoptive brothers, who like to play with me.   The transformation in me is so amazing.  This is me now...............can you believe the difference?
'Smelling of roses'

No comments:

Post a Comment