'ANIMALS SHARE WITH US THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SOUL' ~ Pythagoras

'THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED' ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I left the UK and came to live in this beautiful part of Greece with two cats in 2005. Never did I think that animal welfare/rescuing would take over all other planned activities. The plight of these helpless innocent souls is heartbreaking.

20 October 2013

Surprises for the innocent souls . . .


One realizes that there are so many kind people in the world who dearly want to help the plight of strays.  It is with this, that I am so lucky to have met many of these new friends, and all as a result of our love and devotion towards the helpless innocent souls.  Many have pledged their solemn promises to continue helping us with our GreekSTRAYS here in Ermioni, Greece. It truly is hard and very much a huge financial burden, especially when there is hardly any money coming in, naturally as a result of people loosing confidence in Greece.  So when parcels, or large consignments arrive, it is hugely an exciting time for us and for the strays. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, the furry friends think Christmas has come early for them.  Equally for the short period it gives us a financial breathing space.

ASSEMBLING THE CLIMBING FRAME
With this, I would like to say a huge thank you to all the people who to date have contributed. Either in monetary terms or in terms of sending food, medicines, climbing frame and other items, to which I am so grateful.  Anything that comes my way is all for the welfare of the animals. Living in a very nice part of Greece, I do not have the choice of perhaps the capital Athens, so am very limited as to what I can buy.  Equally in terms of buying kitten food, there is little choice.  At one time, I did have an Amazon wish list, but because they stopped free shipping, sadly the animals surprises started to decline, which was a shame.

We feed many strays and food is always in the car, because if any innocent soul crosses our path, 'it' will get food and water.  It might not be much, but at least it will help.  With this, I wrote to many pet food companies asking for help.  I asked whether they would consider sending me pet food as a donation, or would they consider selling me pet food at cost price.  Sadly to date, not one company had the decency to reply back!!!!  Maybe because they are so inundated with many requests, I will never know, but my policy is that is doesn't harm being polite.  I also think, because I am not a registered charity, people have doubts about my activities.  I have seen some comments written, but people do have their own opinions.  I do not need to justify my actions at all.  Here in Greece, I thought I had found a great person, who worked in a very high position in Pet food logistics.  I wrote to him and he gave me names of who I was to address my correspondences to. Again, not one of these professional individuals had the decency to reply.  So I am sure with my determination, I will find a door that will open for me. 

Over the last few days, I got a huge consignment from a UK charity. With the help of some dear friends, we managed to get it brought down from Athens to Ermioni.  The sun was shining, the cats were in their elements, sniffing at all the food, knowing that it was sheer good stuff from the UK.  The choice for them is amazing. Equally food for the doggies too.  They got an added treat too, because some of the pouches were damaged.

Not only food, but cribs for the winter months and lots of warm blankets. I cannot begin to thank all these kind people.  Opening the boxes, one realizes, that other animal lovers also contribute many items to this charity, making everything more possible.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH xxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment