'ANIMALS SHARE WITH US THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SOUL' ~ Pythagoras

'THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED' ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I left the UK and came to live in this beautiful part of Greece with two cats in 2005. Never did I think that animal welfare/rescuing would take over all other planned activities. The plight of these helpless innocent souls is heartbreaking.

13 September 2013

Kittens found in bins among vegetable peelings . . . .

Friday 13th unlucky for some, or lucky for others?On this particular morning, driving to feed the colony cats, I was just thinking as to when I could fly to England.  Within the next couple of months seemed suitable as there were no kittens, or any urgent cases at home, that needed attention. Once I got home, I would book my flight, or so I thought. We arrived at the tree in the country and fed the small colony of pussy cats that lived within this particular area. Walking up to the large metal bins to throw the empty tin away, I heard a loud screeching of a me-ow. I knew exactly what was making this noise, but I couldn't see anything.  We rummaged around and in among the vegetable peelings, one little black kitten was pulled out.  More rummaging revealed another black and white kitten.  Then nothing, except total silence.  They must have been only hours old as they still had the umbilical cord and eyes tightly shut.  How very sad this was.  Again the cruel actions of peasant villagers, which I can and will never understand their actions.  Anyway, had we arrived a little later, then these tiny kittens would have long been gone, as the bins would have been emptied.


I didn't even have a cage or box in the car, so instead they were wrapped in a cloth and we still had the 50 or so field pussy cats to feed. So off we went and it was here where I got a cage and put the 2 kittens in. Once the field pussy cats were fed, off we went home.  I already had some established kittens at home and BILLY the older cat, so how would they all react I wondered?   I needn't have worried, because they were all curious more than anything.    They were so cute and cuddly, but more hard work and sleepless nights lay ahead.

Feeding tiny kittens can be so relaxing, but I was worrying if they rejected the milk, then what?  What if the milk went down the wrong way?  I could loose them and I didn't want to risk loosing these brave soldiers at all.  But as time went by, there were no problems in feeding them at all.  With the rich nutritional Royal Canin kitten milk, it gave them a good start.


As time went by, I called them SOOTY and SWEEP.  Both girls they were and they grew and played with the other little ones.  I never had so many kittens at any one time at home, as I did then, but it was nice watching them play and getting on.  I had to find homes for them, not in Greece though, but abroad.  So with all my social networking, I met a very nice person, who agreed would help me to find homes for SOOTY and SWEEP.  Departure date would be sometimes in December when they would be old enough.

 SOOTY and SWEEP - MY BEAUTIFUL 2 GIRLIES

No comments:

Post a Comment