'ANIMALS SHARE WITH US THE PRIVILEGE OF HAVING A SOUL' ~ Pythagoras

'THE GREATNESS OF A NATION AND ITS MORAL PROGRESS CAN BE JUDGED BY THE WAY ITS ANIMALS ARE TREATED' ~ Mahatma Gandhi

I left the UK and came to live in this beautiful part of Greece with two cats in 2005. Never did I think that animal welfare/rescuing would take over all other planned activities. The plight of these helpless innocent souls is heartbreaking.

18 September 2013

WATSON . . .

I received an email from lady on the island of Aegina, who forwarded it onto me.  It was from a captain of a sailing yacht, who had brought Canadian and US sailors to the islands. On this particular day, they were in Ermioni, as it was their last night.  They were eating in a taverna on the harbour front and noticed a big brown and white dog with a rope around its neck. The captain seemed to think that the rope had been there for a long time, probably since it was a puppy.  With this, it seemed to have been embedded into the neck of the poor dog for quite some time then.  I was asked by the captain, whether I could help this poor dog.  Sadly stray dogs can be very difficult to catch, especially if they are big and scared.  But I knew I had to find it and try and help it.  How, I had no idea.  

For a few days after receiving this email, I was out at various times of the day, trying to find this dog, but to no avail.  However, one particular day, I had just finished in the supermarket and then drove on to where all the boats were, to see if the dog was around, as it was evening.  I saw the dog and it had been caught and was just being loaded into a large truck.  It certainly didn't look a pretty sight at all.  The dog was taken immediately to the vet and it was identified that this poor helpless creature had a large metal clip lodged in his neck, which had been there for quite some time.  Oh hell.  To be a stray dog in Greece is bad enough, but to have a man made iron clip strangling you as you grow up, is just awful.

Watson was saved and the transformation in him was amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment